Environmental Information System (ENVIS) is a plan programme of the Ministry of Environment and Forest, Government of India. ENVIS is a decentralized system using the distributed network of data bases to ensure integration of national efforts in environmental information collection, storage, retrieval and dissemination to all concerned including policy planners, decision makers, research workers and the public.
1. Long-term objectives
• To build up a repository and dissemination Centre in Environment Science and Engineering;
• To gear up the modern technologies of information acquisition, processing, storage, retrieval and dissemination of environmental information;
• To support and promote research, development and innovation in environmental information technology.
2. Short-term objective
• To provide national environmental information service relevant to present needs and capable of development to meet the future needs of the users, originators, processors and disseminators of information;
• To build up storage, retrieval and dissemination capabilities, with the ultimate objectives of disseminating information speedily to the users;
• To promote national and international co-operation and liaison for exchange of environment related information;
• To promote, support and assist education and personal training programmes designed to enhance environmental information processing and utilization capabilities;
• To promote exchange of information amongst developing countries.