Environmental Information System
Environmental Information System (ENVIS) is a plan programme of the Ministry of Environment and Forest, Government of India. ENVIS is a decentralised system using the distributed network of databases to ensure integration of national efforts in environmental information collection, storage, retrieval and dissemination to all concerned including policy planners, decision makers, research workers and the public.
ENVIS Centre Sikkim on Ecotourism
The Centre is a theme based centre on Ecotourism and is functioning under The Sikkim State Council of Science & Technology / (Department of Science & Technology & Climate Change).
Subject Area assigned: Ecotourism
Sikkim is a biodiversity hotspot and with the Government promoting Ecotourism in the state, along with its mission of converting Sikkim to an Organic State, the Centre is dedicated towards assimilation of data on Ecotourism and building a repository of data on Ecotourism, Responsible Tourism and Sustainable Living, among other things for the whole of the country and Dissemination and Promotion of its Data and Theme.
Location: The Centre is housed in the ground floor of the office of the Sikkim State Council of Science & Technology in Development Area, Gangtok, East Sikkim, India.
The Centre is administered by the administration of the the Sikkim State Council of Science & Technology / (Department of Science & Technology & Climate Change) headed by its member secretary. The working and day to day affairs of the centre is managed by the Additional Director (Sikkim State Council of Science & Technology) who is the Project Coordinator. The three project staff employed handles the assimilation, collation, verification and dissemination of data in the centre.
Coordinator : Shri D. T. Bhutia
1. Mr. Sherap Namgyal Bhutia : Sr. Programme Officer
2. Miss Anju Gurung: IT Officer cum Research Assistant
3. Miss Kalzang Eden Bhutia: IT Assistant cum Data Entry Operator
1. Long-term objectives
- To build up a repository and dissemination Centre in Environment Science and Engineering;
- To gear up the modern technologies of information acquisition, processing, storage, retrieval and dissemination of environmental information;
- To support and promote research, development and innovation in environmental information technology.
2. Short-term objective
- To provide national environmental information service relevant to present needs and capable of development to meet the future needs of the users, originators, processors and disseminators of information;
- To build up storage, retrieval and dissemination capabilities, with the ultimate objectives of disseminating information speedily to the users;
- To promote national and international co-operation and liaison for exchange of environment related information;
- To promote, support and assist education and personal training programmes designed to enhance environmental information processing and utilization capabilities;
- To promote exchange of information amongst developing countries.
FUNCTION OF ENVIS CENTERS
- Building up a good collection of books, reports and journals in the particular subjects area of environment;
- Establishment of linkages with all information sources in the particular subject area of environment;
- Responding to user queries;
- Establishment of a Data Bank on some selected parameters relating to the subjects area;
- Co-ordination with the Focal Point for supplying relevant, adequate and timely information to the users;
- Helping the Focal Point in gradually building up an inventory of information material available at the Centres;
- Identification of gaps in the specified subject area and action to fill these gaps;
- Bringing out newsletter /publications in their subjects area for wide dissemination.